Foundation - Isaac Asimov My husband and I are reading this together, which is kind of neat.

Great story. Since this is only the first book in a seven book series that Asimov wrote, I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books. Interestingly, it took him 3 years to write the first three books, and thirty years to write the rest. The last book being written a year before his death in 1993. The story is fascinating, although it jumps around a lot. The first book takes place over 100 years or so, but is only 200 pages long. Each section jumps decades to the next phase in galactic history. I think this was necessary for Asimov to get his story across, which has a political and somewhat sociological basis, but at times, the story line of a certain era seemed to be just beginning, then, BOOM it was over and he jumped to the next era. The reader is left to fill in the blanks about the outcome of the previous set of circumstances by the way things turned out in the new era. Maybe (hopefully) the further books fill in some of the gaps, but I don't think so. Anyway - Foundation is almost more like a collection of short stories or novellas about the same society than an actual book. I give it three stars, since I enjoyed each part on its own and am looking forward to the next one.