The Lady Elizabeth - Alison Weir This book is about the life of Queen Elizabeth I, and highlights from the day her mother, Anne Boleyn, was beheaded to the day she became Queen upon the death of her sister Mary Tudor. Although I already knew the rudiments of the story, the book helped to fill in a lot of the gaps. I thoroughly enjoyed Weir's portrayal of Elizabeth and her wit and intelligence. I felt at times, though, that she portrayed her as a little too high-strung. What most fascinated me was the portrayal throughout the book of the up and down relationship between Elizabeth and Mary. At times, they seemed the best of friends and truly sisters. Mostly this occurred when Elizabeth was little and Edward VI was alive. During this time, it was easy for Mary to befriend Elizabeth since the latter was no threat to the former. Once Edward died and Mary became Queen, everything turned bad for Elizabeth and Mary seemed to change overnight from being a beloved older sister, to a formidable enemy who was all the more dangerous because she was somewhat unstable. In truth, I find it hard to believe that a woman as intelligent, educated, and vain as Elizabeth was a blameless in all the intrigues as Weir portrayed her. Nor do I believe that Mary was quite as untrustworthy and shrewish.

All in all, this was a fascinating book giving me a lot to think about regarding one of my favorite subjects.