Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman Unlike The Graveyard Book book that I read, this one sucked me right in. By the end of the first ten pages, I already had several favorite quotes that I had read out loud to my sister and son. I fell in love with the way Neil Gaiman turns a phrase. Some of the examples of my favorite sentences are:

He told Richard that if he, Lord Rat-speaker, ever saw him, Richard, again, that he, Richard, would be in a great deal of trouble.

Ruislip, the Fop's opponent, resembled a bad dream one might have if one fell asleep watching sumo wrestling on the television with a Bob Marley record playing in the background.

Richard was thunderstruck: it had been like watching Emma Peel, Bruce Lee, and a particularly vicious tornado, all rolled into one and sprinkled with a generous helping of a mongoose killing a king cobra.

Most of the book takes place in London Below, where the people who "fall through the cracks" end up. I found the idea of an alternate world where people who aren't successful in the real world can be a success, immensely intriguing. As the book progressed, I couldn't wait to see what happened to Richard, Door, and the marquis.

There are several criteria that I use to judge a 5 star book, and this one met them:

Did it suck me in right away? Yes
Did I want to know more about the characters? Yes
Did I get frustrated when I couldn't be reading it? Yes.
Did the story idea intrigue me? YES

All in all, I will be looking forward to reading more from MR. Gaiman, and I would HIGHLY recommend this book.