The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf My first 5 star book of the year!! I literally could not put this book down. What a great story Heather Gudenkauf wove. In the about the author section, it says that she is writing her next book. I can't wait to see what it is like.

The synopsis on the book jacket says it all, Calli and Petra are best friends. They both turn up missing one August morning. What their parents go through, no parent ever wants to go through, me included. What happens to them in the woods is a great story about love, redemption, friendship, heartbreak. This story has it all. The characters are so real, the suspense is great, the interactions are wonderful. I can't say enough about the book. There are so many things about this book that I loved. I loved the way that the author crafted the characters in such a way, that even the villains were sympathetic is some ways. The juxtaposition of the characters was extremely well done in my opinion. I also really enjoyed the use of several viewpoints to tell the story, with each character filling in their part so that, in the end, you got the whole story. I also loved the ending, and the way that the author was able to tie up all the loose ends without resorting to a fairy tale ending, which would have seriously detracted from the story.