The Xibalba Murders - Lyn Hamilton The premise of this book (and I presume the whole series) is mysteries that occur during archeological digs. The main protagonist is the owner of an antiquities store who travels the globe and gets involved in solving the mysteries that occur.

At first I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this book, partly because I had just read a book that I literally could not put down, partly because it took a bit to get used to the writing style in this book. For example, the author begins a lot of sentences with BUT, and breaks things into separate sentences that I would leave as one. However, once I got into the story, I found it fascinating. I have been interested in Native American culture, (including the Aztecs, Mayas, and Incas) since I was in high school and did a study project on them. This book had a good blend of mystery and details about the Maya culture. It is a typical mystery story in the vein of Agatha Christie, one where there are not a lot of plot twists. Although I figured out early on who was the most likely bad guy, I didn't quite figure out all of the villains. For that reason, I still enjoyed the story immensely and look forward to reading the rest of the series. I am giving the book a 3.5, but rounding up to a 4 because of the detail included on the Maya culture.