A Cold Day In Paradise  - Steve Hamilton This is the first of Steve Hamilton's Alex McKnight series. It is a typical mystery, more of the cozy mystery category. I'm not sure I would class it as a thriller since I figured out who the villain was and what the twists were about halfway through the book. Alex McKnight is an ex-cop from Detroit who moves to the small town of Paradise, Michigan to get away from the destruction of his career 14 years ago courtesy of a madman who killed his partner and left him with a bullet in his chest. He is looking for a quiet life. He almost succeeds in building a new life, until his past comes back to haunt him. There are the usual mystery devices in this book. Murders that are not really what they seem, Cops who think they have all the answers, but don't, relationships that are messy and duplicitous.

I gave this book 3 stars mainly because I enjoyed the story, but I figured out the twists and who was the ultimate villain about half way through the book. Way before they revealed it. I did enjoy it, and intend to read more books in this series.