The Documents in the Case - Dorothy L. Sayers, Robert Eustace I picked this book for several reasons. I like mysteries, I have always wanted to read something by Dorothy L. Sayers, it fit into a challenge I was doing, and the premise looked interesting. As it turns out, I was a bit disappointed as the book is completely different from what I expected. The book is a mystery told through documents that were submitted to the police for review. This method is interesting as it gives the points of view of several different characters who were involved to some degree in the events, however, it made for a somewhat choppy story. In addition, the actual death and mystery surrounding the death play second fiddle to the real point of the book, which is a discertation on the theories of creation and evolution. In fact, the discussion soon turns to theorizing on whether science will ever be able to manufacture life or not, and why the various characters feel the way that they do on this subject. A lot of the discussion is filled with technical data regarding cloning, physics, the manufacture of organic compounds using inorganic compounds, and a whole lot of stuff that my son (who is a bioengineering major) would understand, but went over my head! What I did find was interesting, was the fact that they were discussing the pros and cons of cloning life as far back as the 1930s.

I would recommend this book more for people interested in that discussions of creationism vs evolution, and the possibilities of bioengineering, rather than mystery fans. I thought the mystery storyline itself was weak. It was easy to figure out who did it and why, the real mystery was how/whether they would be caught.

I gave it three stars because of the interesting discussions on life.