The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - Katherine Howe I really cannot decide whether to give this book 4 or 5 stars. I almost read it in one day, which is really unusual for me, but then, as much as I enjoyed it, it didn't leave me saying "WOW!" like The Weight of Silence or Neverwhere did. So, I guess that gives it a 4.5.

The book takes place in both Colonial New England and the present (1991). It centers around a grad student in Colonial History at Harvard, who is working on her dissertation, and the Salem Witch Trials in 1692. There were several things that I really liked about this book. First, it was easy to read, and the story hooked me right from the beginning. Historical Fiction is my favorite genre, and there was definitely enough Historical data to spark my interest. In addition, I liked the present day characters that the writer wove into the story, and how she used them to tell the story of Deliverance Dane and the Salem Witch Trials. Mostly, I liked the fact that this wasn't your typical Salem Witch Trial book. In this book, the author asks, "What If?", but in such a way that it does not seem hokey or too fantastic. I also liked that there was a bit of suspense woven through the present day story. The author, Katherine Howe is related to two of the accused Salem witches, which I think helped her to really delve into this story and make it what it was. I also liked the fact that the author took the time to research the subject enough to use the proper Colonial words and spellings of words, but that she was very upfront that she took huge fictional liberties with the characters, even the ones that actually existed.

I would definitely recommend this book!