Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (Modern Library Classics) - Lewis Carroll, A.S. Byatt, John Tenniel Initially after finishing this book, which contains both "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" I felt that I liked the Wonderland story better than Looking Glass one. The thing is, I'm not really sure why. It might be because the Wonderland portion of the book is more familiar to me. Or just that I didn't understand all of the chess subplay in the Looking Glass portion of the book. The second story just seemed to be more contrived to me (if that makes any sense). I finally came to the conclusion that I got more of the jokes and puns in the first story.

It took me a while to realize some of the underlying stuff that Carroll packed into the second story. Like how Alice has to walk away from the Red Queen to get to her because everything in a mirror is backwards. Or how the White Night keeps falling off his horse every two steps because a chess knight moves two squares up and one square over. Once I got some of that, I think the story seemed more interesting to me.

I love that both stories are filled with inside jokes and references. For that reason, I think you need to know something about Lewis Carroll; his life, the era, and the girls that he wrote the stories for, to get the most out of the stories.