Sworn to Silence - Linda Castillo This book was the typical mystery/thriller. The setting is Ohio, in Amish country and the main character is the police chief of the small town of Painter's Mill. Not only is she a woman, but she grew up Amish, and left the church when she came of age. The premise is that she would have an in with the Amish residents, but if you know anything about Amish culture, once you leave the church, you cease to exist. What it actually does is give her two strikes, one for being a woman, one for leaving the church. The third strike lands when she pulls over the head of the town council for a DUI.

All of this comes into play when a serial killer starts to murder young women in the town and surrounding area. The fact that the killings seem to fit a pattern from 16 years ago, doesn't help. Nor does the fact that she has inside knowledge of the previous crimes.

The story line in this book was interesting, and a fresh take on the female cop trying to prove herself. There were a host of supporting characters that were interesting, including an agent of the State BCI(a state FBI type entity) who is on his "last legs" so to speak. There is also the obligatory love interest and sexual encounter for the female protagonist. While I felt that the story was good and the characters interesting, the gruesomeness of the crimes and the explicit description of them was a bit much for me. In addition, I thought the love interest added nothing to the story, but the author stuck it in feeling it was obligatory in this type of story. I liked the main character, but actually would rather have heard more about the embattled state BCI character.

The best part of the book is that the character who turned out to be the killer was a complete surprise to me. I never even considered them as being the person.

I am giving this book 3.5 stars.