Changes (Dresden Files, Book 12) - Jim Butcher Anyone who knows me know how much I love this series. In fact, it is my favorite series ever, and they are the only books that I will drop everything to read when a new one comes out. I have given the first 10 books 5 stars, and only deviated on book 11 since there were things going on that were necessary, but made the story not as good in my opinion. WELL - THAT IS NOT THE CASE WITH THIS BOOK! Jim Butcher is back on track with the 12th Dresden book and Harry Dresden is back with a vengeance. Literally. This book contains everything that I like about the Dresden files series. Lots of action, twists and turns, some great new characters that I hope we see more of, and ALL of the old favorites (except the werewolves). Harry is no longer the melancholy brooder of the last book, Molly has lost her teenage angst, and Thomas and Bob are, well....Thomas and Bob. That is one of the things that I have come to love about this series. Although it is named after Harry Dresden, and he is obviously the central character throughout the books, there is an excellent cast of supporting characters who Butcher is developing with as much care and thought at that of Dresden.

The book begins with a hook that grabbed me right off the bat as Harry hooks up with an old girlfriend to save a little girl from death at the hands of the Red Court. As the story unfolds, we see that things, as usual, are not quite what they appear to be. In fact, the story literally goes places that I would never have expected Jim Butcher to take it, but they fit together, and the unexpected yet appropriate twists are one of the things that I liked the most about the story. In addition, along the way, Butcher reveals a little more about the magical world in general, and Harry's background/past specifically. Then, just when you think all of the loose ends are tied up, and the story is going to softly end in true Dresden Files fashion, Butcher does something that he has never done in one of these stories before. He slaps you in the face with a cliff hanger ending that left me wailing and wanting more, but in a good way. I sure hope that he doesn't dally in putting out the next book in the series.

I give this book two enthusiastic thumbs up, and would give it more than 5 stars if I could.