Claude & Camille: A Novel of Monet - Stephanie Cowell I picked up this book because my youngest son, Joe, is a painter, loves Impressionism, and his favorite painter is Monet. Due to this I have come to love Impressionism also, and Monet in specific.
That said, even though this book was about his relationship with his wife Camille, I learned a lot about Monet and the other Impressionists and the tribulations they went through trying to get their paintings recognized as art. In addition, I learned a lot about the life of Monet. It was also a pretty easy read.
This is also the first book that I have read by Stephanie Cowell. She has a very poetic writing style, which was the perfect style for a book about a painter. Often her words painted as beautiful of a picture as Monet's art. I think my favorite sentence was, "Late November, as dingy as the skirts of a prostitute." For some reason I just love the way these words flow, and the mental picture that they paint. I am looking forward to reading more by this author and may try Marrying Mozart next. All in all it was a thoroughly enjoyable read!

I would definitely recommend this to people who are interested in the Impressionist movement in France.