Ella Minnow Pea - Mark Dunn About a year ago, I was talking about Jasper Fforde and the Thursday Next series of books, and someone mentioned this book to me. I put it on my TBR, but it wasn't until one of my groups here an GR picked it as a group read that I actually got to reading it. The similarities to the Thursday Next books are very minimal, if any, but it is a well written book in it's own right.

There was so much that I liked about this book, I'm not really sure where to start. I guess the beginning is the best place. The first thing that drew me to the book was the premise. The powers that be for Nollopian society have gone off the deep end and are outlawing letters of the alphabet. The increasingly creative ways that the citizens of the island use in order to communicate was very interesting. By the end of the book, I was enthralled to find out what the citizens were going to try next in order to continue to communicate with each other as more and more letters are outlawed.

This book was also a rather cute story about what happens when a government gets too full of itself. There were many parallels that could be drawn to current or historical world events. For example, at first, as letters were outlawed, most of the citizens took it in stride, but there were a few who saw the proverbial "slippery slope" that had begun. Eventually, as more and more letters get outlawed, even the government finds it is unable to function.

The best part of the story, however, came at the end in the way that Nollopian society is saved and the banned letters restored. As I read through the book, I knew they would win in the end, but the way that the citizens of Nollop restored their letters was a surprise, and for that reason all the more satisfying of an end.

One of the members in the group commented that this book was "quirky" which I have to agree fits it to a tee. I don't think that any other book has quite been approached in the same way, and it is this very quirkiness that has endeared it to me. 4-5 stars from me.