The Night Strangers: A Novel - Chris Bohjalian Chris Bohjalian has been one of my favorite authors since I read The Double Bind in 2009. I love the way that he develops his characters and the quirky stories that he tells. You can imagine how excited I was when I realized that he was publishing a new book, and was lucky enough to get on the list at the library before it was miles long. This book certainly did not disappoint me. One of my favorite things about Bohjalian as an author is that all of his stories highlight humanity detailing the good, the bad, and the ugly. Another thing that fascinates me is that his stories cover the gamit of human existence, from murders to historical tales. No two are exactly alike, but all of them are excellently detailed. In The Night Strangers he does this yet again, with the tale of a family in crisis trying to rebuild their lives by relocating to a small town in New Hampshire. As in many of his stories, all in the town is not what it appears to be. The town itself is populated with a cast of characters that are at once both charming and alarming.

This book drew me in from the very first page and did not let up until the unbelievable climax. I was fascinated by the complexity of the characters who were by turns naive, charming, misguided, and down right evil. As the story progressed, I had a hard time putting the book down, just waiting to see what the next turn of events were going to be. I really enjoyed the fact that it was hard to tell what who was going to be the ultimate survivor/victor in this saga. In addition, I enjoyed the fact that, once again, Mr. Bohjalian could keep me guessing as to the ultimate conclusion of the drama presented in the pages of this book.

My only disappointment in this books was with the ending. Yes, it did not end the way that I wanted it to, but that was not what disappointed me. I thought the ending totally fit the story as a whole. My disappointment stemmed fromt the feeling that the author brought you to the climax of the story, only to leave you hanging, wanting for more. He then followed up with an Epilogue that was so far into the future as to leave the reader somewhat disoriented. Yes, the Epilogue answered many questions and tied up most of the lose ends, but instead of spending a few pages telling you what happened after the end of the last chapter, I would rather it was detailed in the story.

All in all, though, an excellent book with a compelling story that will keep you riveted to the pages.