Waking Hours - Lis Wiehl, Pete Nelson I have had [a:Lis Wiehl|568299|Lis Wiehl|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1253462652p2/568299.jpg]'s first book, [b:Face of Betrayal|6114917|Face of Betrayal|Lis Wiehl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1255610115s/6114917.jpg|6292986] on my radar since it was originally published. Unfortunately, I was never able to get it read, but recently was offered the opportunity to read the second book in the author's East Salem Trilogy, [b:Darkness Rising|14487684|Darkness Rising|Lis Wiehl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344542215s/14487684.jpg|20130237] as an ARC. Of course, that lead me to read [b:Waking Hours|10634346|Waking Hours|Lis Wiehl|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349015144s/10634346.jpg|15542990] first, and I am so glad that I did. In this first book of the trilogy, a girl is murdered in upscale West Chester County, New York after attending a party at one of the student's house. From there, the story becomes a mystery/thriller of the best kind. Along with the two main protagonists, who eventually band together to try to solve the murder, there is a whole host of interesting characters to capture the mind of the reader. Even better, as the story progresses, we find that many of them are not as they appear on the surface. I loved this aspect of the book and it definitely enhanced the mystery/thriller aspect of the book.

In the first book of the trilogy, a girl is murdered in upscale West Chester County, New York after attending a party at one of the student's house. From there, the story becomes a mystery/thriller of the best kind. Along with the two main protagonists, who eventually band together to try to solve the murder, there is a whole host of interesting characters to capture the mind of the reader. Even better, as the story progresses, we find that many of them are not as they appear on the surface. I loved this aspect of the book and it definitely enhanced the mystery/thriller aspect of the book.

My favorite part about this book, aside from the fact that it was a first rate thriller with lots of turns and twists, was the interplay between the two main protagonists. I don't mean the underlying romantic attachment that they seem to have, although that is a well done aspect in itself. Dani Harris is a forensic psychiatrist that looks at everything with a cool, clinical eye. Ex NFL Linebacker Tommy Gunderson, however, sees life in a less "rational" way, where the logical and real are mixed with things that science cannot quite explain. It is in the contrasting of these two styles of looking at the crime that I feel is the author's best contribution to this story.

As for the plot of the book, here again, Lis Wiehl scores. The plot is deftly woven and well paced. In addition there are twists and turns, some of which I saw coming, some of which hit me out of the blue. There were even a few "red herrings" to lead the reader temporarily down a path leading away from the truth. Another plus is the way the author was able to end the book, solving the murder, but making it apparent that the story was not over and leaving the reading definitely wanting more. I could not wait for the next installment and was glad that it was sitting on my Nook, ready to read.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed my first book by this author and am looking forward to adding her other work to the top of my reading list for 2013. I gave this book 5 stars based on my feelings that the characters and story were first rate, and on the level of enjoyment I had in both reading it, and trying to guess what the end result would be. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is an fan of mystery/thrillers and feel that [a:Lis Wiehl|568299|Lis Wiehl|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1253462652p2/568299.jpg] can hold her own with the top writers in this genre.