The Doctor's Wife - Luis Jaramillo I really enjoy when I happen across a book that surprises me, for whatever reason. [b:The Doctor's Wife|13592217|The Doctor's Wife|Luis Jaramillo|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344718278s/13592217.jpg|19180300] by [a:Luis Jaramillo|5813255|Luis Jaramillo|/assets/nophoto/nophoto-U-50x66-251a730d696018971ef4a443cdeaae05.jpg] is just such a book. To call it a collection of short stories is misleading in a couple of ways. First of all, I would class the book as more of a collection of vignettes, as none of them are longer than 4 pages. Secondly, the genre "short stories" brings to my mind a collection of tales that give separate brief glimpses. In this case, you have a book of stories, told from varying perspectives, by three generations of the author's family. Each story is an interesting tid-bit all it's own, put them all together and you have a picture of a typical family living in the Pacific Northwest during the 60s and 70s. The book as a whole has a wonderfully homey feel to it, especially when the various storytellers start correcting each others tales. I felt like I was sitting in the living room of the house on Lake Steven, listening to Jaramillo and his relatives tell the family stories. It was a wonderful experience. If the book had any downfalls, it was that it was so short. I ended up wishing I could have spent more time with Luis and his grandmother, mother, and aunt.