Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave  - Jeaniene Frost This book is actually a re-read for me, but this time I am reading it with a bunch of people, and we are planning to read the whole series. I enjoyed this book the first time that I read it, but I actually think I liked it a little more the second time around. I'm not sure if that is because I picked up on things that I missed the first time, or if it is because I am more familiar with the genre now. Urban Fantasy has become such a lucrative genre that it is sometimes hard to find books that are different and fresh, but this one fits the bill.

As Urban Fantasy books go, this one is pretty good. The heroine, Cat, is half vampire, half human, which is a bit of a different twist. What I liked the most about her, though is that she in neither too cocky and self-assured, nor too low on the self esteem scale, but has just the right mix of the two. The mixture makes her character both complex and easy to empathize with. Bones, the vampire lead in the book, is another well done character. As a love interest he is neither sappy nor too macho. In fact, through his emotions, Bones seems at times more human than Cat. And as a vampire, the author has given him qualities that set him apart from other vampires in other urban fantasy series. What they both have in common is that they are both trying to get along the best that they can and "Play the hand that [they] are given", as Bones would say.

Along with the characters, the plot of this novel was well done. I was drawn into the story line pretty quickly and the plot contained enough adventure to keep me interested. I liked that the author went in a direction that was a bit different from the usual paranormal PI scenario. As the story progressed, I liked the depth that the characters showed, all the way to the end, which was as conflicted and open ended as the characters involved. I felt the author did a really good job of setting up a story line that I believe can be sustained over a several book series.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series and see where Ms. Frost takes the story and her characters.